sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Quality Assurance Team and Security Team Leader openings.

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arjan Bouter <abouter AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Quality Assurance Team and Security Team Leader openings.
  • Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 19:32:04 +0200

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 15:14:13 +0200
Thomas Houssin <thomas.houssin AT gmail.com> wrote:

> Seth Alan Woolley wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 01:12:25PM +0200, Thomas Houssin wrote:
> >
> >>Security is something I'm interested in. If I can focus more on
> >>everything that's related to security in SM, I'd be happy to do it.
> >>That's why I'm interested in following after Seth, and volunteering for
> >>that...
> >

> > So are you accepting a nomination for Security Team Leader? I don't
> > want to be a "team leader" in two categories, and I think it's good for
> > community members to step up to leadership and keep the team leadership
> > fresh.
> >
> > Did I mention it looks good on a resume?
> >
> > Seth
> >

> Yes I'm accepting it. :) I updated my profile on the wiki, just to give
> a short idea on who I am (you can ask if you want more details).
> As Seth said, the mains two things are : to keep up with security
> patches and to make sure the default install is safe. Another thing I'd
> like to start is some kind of hardened Source Mage : adding
> spells/patchs and documenting the steps to have a more secure SM.
>
> Cheers,
> Thomas

Hardened smgl is a very vague description ;)
we already have grsec and ACL support (all optional) and as soon as someone
can
get the selinux patches applied to coreutils we also have selinux support in
smgl. That is pretty much as complete as other 'hardened' distros are, while
we've got it in the normal grimoires.

As choice is very high on the smgl priorities list, i don't think we can make
it the default.

What we could do is add some profile spells to get the full selinux chain of
spells installed. (as an example.)

On the documentation part of the story, IMHO the wiki is the right place to
have
this kind of info.

Arjan

+=======
Source Mage GNU/Linux developer,
Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic.
http://www.sourcemage.org

Registered as user #310617 with the Linux Counter,
http://counter.li.org.

GnuPG Key 79D4B14E = 94AD 3FD1 E259 67ED 632E 2B06 CFBE 1154 79D4 B14E
+===