sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Quality Assurance Team and Security Team Leader openings.

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "David C. Haley" <dhaley AT tamsco.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Quality Assurance Team and Security Team Leader openings.
  • Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 00:50:00 +0400

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 19:32:04 +0200
Arjan Bouter <abouter AT sourcemage.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 15:14:13 +0200
> Thomas Houssin <thomas.houssin AT gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Seth Alan Woolley wrote:

> > > So are you accepting a nomination for Security Team Leader? I don't
> > > want to be a "team leader" in two categories, and I think it's good for
> > > community members to step up to leadership and keep the team leadership
> > > fresh.
> > >
> > > Did I mention it looks good on a resume?
> > >
> > > Seth
> > >

> > Yes I'm accepting it. :) I updated my profile on the wiki, just to give
> > a short idea on who I am (you can ask if you want more details).
> > As Seth said, the mains two things are : to keep up with security
> > patches and to make sure the default install is safe. Another thing I'd
> > like to start is some kind of hardened Source Mage : adding
> > spells/patchs and documenting the steps to have a more secure SM.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Thomas
>
> Hardened smgl is a very vague description ;)

Though I would agree that the idea of a hardened SMGL is a good one, I also
agree with A. Bouter that it is a bit vague to just say that, and that alone.
Are there any ideas or thoughts on ways that we can better define exactly
what 'hardened' would imply?

> we already have grsec and ACL support (all optional) and as soon as someone
> can
> get the selinux patches applied to coreutils we also have selinux support in
> smgl. That is pretty much as complete as other 'hardened' distros are, while
> we've got it in the normal grimoires.
>
> As choice is very high on the smgl priorities list, i don't think we can
> make
> it the default.

Again, I agree here. I think that the choices we are allowed with this
distribution is one of its strongest perks.

> What we could do is add some profile spells to get the full selinux chain of
> spells installed. (as an example.)
>
> On the documentation part of the story, IMHO the wiki is the right place to
> have
> this kind of info.
>
> Arjan
>
> +=======
> Source Mage GNU/Linux developer,
> Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic.
> http://www.sourcemage.org
>
> Registered as user #310617 with the Linux Counter,
> http://counter.li.org.
>
> GnuPG Key 79D4B14E = 94AD 3FD1 E259 67ED 632E 2B06 CFBE 1154 79D4 B14E
> +===

Regards,

David C. Haley
Network/Satellite Administrator
Parsons S & J
Baghdad, Iraq
Phone: 972.535.3740
Email: dhaley AT tamsco.com
---
[This E-mail was scanned for viruses by Declude Virus]