sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] alternative grimoire layout

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "David C. Haley" <dhaley AT tamsco.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] alternative grimoire layout
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 23:05:58 +0400

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 09:33:39 -0700
Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com> wrote:

> If we consider that a social problem it could be mitigated by having a
> single 'main' maintainer.

That is a nice idea, but IMO this would seem to alienate a bit the people
that would gladly like to chip in here and there with maintaining updating,
or tweaking things as they get time.

Also, with this said one might consider human nature. If I am given spells to
maintain I may or may not begin to think they are 'my' spells. I would
hesitate associateing things directly with people in this form in avoid
making making things 'personal'. It can cause undo tension and stress IMO
than is required in teh development process.

This very chain of email can be used probably as a good example. Given this
is your propose, your idea that you have set forth on this mailing list it
has generalted quite a lot of replies and interest. I am sure that as you
have read this you have seem some things that have caused you to sigh, or get
frustrated. Perhaps that users that just doesn't get what you are trying to
say, or some that just refuse to go along, rather sticking with what they
have. If this has happened to you I would say that you are taking things
personally. Which is natural when people critisize your work or ideas. Now,
at this point I want to say I don't know if this has happened, it was merely
an assumption. But, one I made to try and make a point. If anything you might
have gotten upset that I would make such an assumption which would go to
prove my point.

In any case, I am just saying that maintainer-spell(s) relationship might be
a bad way to look at organizing things.

> Its not directly solvable in this layout, or probably any layout.

This is true, and though I would be a fool to argue that any layout would
solve this problem I would have to say, again IMO, that the current layout
better facilitates the above functions. Give our currently layout (please
correct me if I misunderstand this) we have maintainers at a section level
that maintain in a generl sense what they can in their section; and given
this layout it does not tie down one spell, or group of spells to any one
developer/maintainer. To me this allows more easily for those that wish to
volunteer there time to maintain, update, and tweak things at their leisure
without intruding in anyone persons domain (ie the specific spell or group
there of they try to maintain).

Please forgive me if this sets of any bombs or flames, it was not intended to
do so. I am merely voicing some concerns about things I have experienced in
the past.

Regards,
SilverS