sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] alternative grimoire layout

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Craig Dyke <grail AT westnet.com.au>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] alternative grimoire layout
  • Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 22:02:13 +0800

Hello All

I am only a user and not a guru, maintainer or the like and thought I might have something to add.

I have read through all replies to this thread and concur with Duane that there are essentially two issues:

1. Adding KEYWORDS to the DETAILS file

2. Naming sections

Point 1. I think is agreed by all to be a sane solution to the difficulty of searching and gaining information about spells
and seems straight forward to me.

Point 2. There seems to be the most conjecture around this point which seems to boil down to whether or not you
are a maintainer or user. I cannot obviously speak on the complex issue of what it is like to maintain spells and / or sections,
but, from a users point of view, what is stored in the codex directory is kind of irrelevant to how it is sorted.

Now I don't mean to put any hairs out of place with that comment, it's just that as a user the few times that it is necessary
for me to look into a spell to make changes is very few (this is by no small consequence related to the great work all the maintainers do).

That being said I do have a suggestion which probably will be scoffed at, but here goes:

Could you not have all spells directly below the codex directory?

eg. /var/lib/sorcery/codex/...

I realise that wading through a mountain of spells for maintainers would be a nightmare, but my idea here is to have a directory / file
in the codex, my preference being a directory, which contains simply a list of files which can be named anyway the maintainers see fit
to best suit their needs and within the file contain all spells they are responsible for.

Anyway, I hope at least one person reads my idea even if it may be considered poor.

Craig