sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] New sections

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Flavien Bridault <f.bridault AT fra.net>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] New sections
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:44:05 +0200

Le mercredi 30 mars 2005 à 09:28 -0600, Jeremy Blosser (emrys) a écrit :
> On Mar 30, sergey AT optimaltec.com [sergey AT optimaltec.com] wrote:
> > Why not use just "ui" for "user interface" then: xfce-ui, gnome-ui, e-ui,
> > etc?
> > The "look" doesn't reflect anything about sounds or file management
> > capabilities.
>
> I have a couple ideas for this, this is one, there's another I think may be
> even more complete. I'll post something later today.
>
> > Also, I'm not sure the scheme addresses management difficulties of large
> > sections like php-pear and perl-cpan. Relabeling them php-devel and
> > perl-devel
> > doesn't help.
>
> If you mean help dividing those sections up, we'd do that with subgenres.
> So something like:
>
> perl-devel
> perl-crypt-devel
> perl-xml-devel
> etc.
>
> > Sergey.
> >
> > Quoting "Andrew \"ruskie\" Levstik" <ruskie AT mages.ath.cx>:
> >

> > > Erm a -look is only for themes and sounds and other stuff that is used
> > > change the interface.... so having it put into -gui doesn't sound ok for
> > > me...
> > > Environments sound nice but it's imho waaayyy to much
> > >
> > > As for the -classes that was only a sample but I think we shuld keep
> > > classes
> > > to a minimal..
> > >
> > > But of course the final word here is alley_cats :)

Well, I took a lot of time watching at your layout, and I finally think
this is really the best classification we could made. :-)

The environment tag is really important imho. Either from user point of
view or from dev's one. For instance, a dev who only uses gtk for his
own use may not want to keep qt and/or kde only to ensure that the
qt/kde spells in his section compiles well. So in creating different
branchs we could avoid that.

However, we shouldn't forget that it will be a major modification of the
grimoire. It will be very welcome imho as we can take advantage of this
update to sort the grimoire, because many spells are not were they
should be. For instance : why do I have coda spell in my disk section,
although nfs is in net section ?? Why cdrtoaster is the only burning app
(AFAIK ;-) ) in audio-soft instead of disk ?? Why udev or devfsd are in
disk section as they not only manage disk ?? These are just example that
I remember now but I guess they are a lot of cases like these.

This would also certainly lead to modify current maintainer's
assignment. ;-)
So we should first ensure that everybody is ready to work on this major
update and obviously, how to lead it, from a technical point of view.

PS : Sorry about about the spam, Jeremy, I'm quite tired tonight and I
didn't well understand wtf I just did with my identities... I sent this
mail twice to you... :-/
--
Flavien Bridault

irc: vlaaad