sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] New sections

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Andrew \"ruskie\" Levstik" <ruskie AT mages.ath.cx>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] New sections
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 16:59:27 +0200

Jeremy Blosser (emrys) wrote :

> PGP verify signed message
> gpg: Signature made sre 30 mar 2005 15:41:24 CEST using DSA key ID F009764F
> gpg: Good signature from "Jeremy Blosser <jblosser AT firinn.org>"
> gpg: There is no indication that the signature belongs to the
> owner.
> Primary key fingerprint: 867D C269 21C2 7643 E9E3 6478 285D BEC5 F009 764F
> PGP verification success
>

> On Mar 30, Andrew ruskie Levstik [ruskie AT mages.ath.cx] wrote:
> > >
> http://wiki.sourcemage.org/index.php?page=Grimoire+Section+Layout+Specification

> combination
> >
> > To much.... waaayyy to much sections...
> >
> > and imho it should remain as:
> > genre-class
>
> I tend to prefer this as well and started out doing it this way, it just
> made it awkward for some stuff like kde/gnome-base stuff. But if we don't
> mind that I do agree it's more logical to do genre-class.
>
> > I think the most we should go for classes
> > is
> > -libs(mail-libs. etc.),
> > -servers(http-servers, etc...),
> > -apps(http-apps),
> > -utils(x11-utils),
> > -look(xfce-look),
>
> Where do we put shells then? shells-apps? And where do we put kernels,
> bootloaders, shadow, etc. without a system class? I think we need system
> as a class, shells we could get away without if we agree somewhere else to
> put them.
>
> I think 'guis' is better than 'look', because 'look' is ambiguous as to
> what goes in there. 'environment(|s)' is probably the best but it's a
> mouthful, I guess not worse than the current 'windowmanagers'. But
> whatever we call it I agree we can combine the windowmanagers and
> guis(kde-guis) class.
>
> > If you want to add an environment I'd go for along to some extent...
> > But only for X/GTK/QT/GNOME/KDE/E/XFCE stuff and any other graphical
> > system that provides some way of linking to it... i.e. libxfce4gui.so
> > and such iirc
>
> I'm fine leaving environment out, I assumed people would want that since we
> have so many environment-based sections now. If we don't have it at all
> then stuff like kde apps are split all over the other sections by genre and
> people have to look more if they're looking from a "I want more kde apps"
> perspective. And no, we shouldn't just keep putting all kde apps under
> "kde-guis" regardless of what genre the app is in, that's completely broken
> IMO. It makes it a pain for people just looking for a graphical mail
> client that may or may not require their gui environment of choice.
>

> I'll wait for a few more people to comment if they want they put up another
> draft on the wiki.

Erm a -look is only for themes and sounds and other stuff that is used to
change the interface.... so having it put into -gui doesn't sound ok for me...
Environments sound nice but it's imho waaayyy to much

As for the -classes that was only a sample but I think we shuld keep classes
to a minimal..

But of course the final word here is alley_cats :)
--
Andrew "ruskie" Levstik

For all the knowledge... || URL: http://ruskie.pixelcarnage.com
I will prevail... || ICQ: 321223361
If I fail nothing is left... || MSN: ruskie_0 AT yahoo.co.uk
All is lost... || Jabber: ruskie AT jabber.org
Never to be seen again... || Yahoo!: ruskie_0
Nevermore... || URL2: http://ruskie.dtdm.org

EtPan! - nicest email client I have seen -
http://libetpan.sourceforge.net/etpan

Key ID = 32FE2034
Key fingerprint = EF36 041B E2A5 4E6F 7B3E 6B45 C0F2 E234 32FE 2034