sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] New sections

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jeremy Blosser (emrys)" <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] New sections
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 07:41:24 -0600

On Mar 30, Andrew ruskie Levstik [ruskie AT mages.ath.cx] wrote:
> > http://wiki.sourcemage.org/index.php?page=Grimoire+Section+Layout+Specification
> > >
> > > Next steps are to discuss this and see if it's a good idea, tweak it
> > > further to get what we want, and decide what it means for section
> > > maintenance, bugzilla, email aliases, etc. Then comes deciding how to
> > > implement it, either re-sorting all spells at once or just adding new
> > > spells to the new sections and moving others over time or some
> > > combination
> > > of this.
>
> To much.... waaayyy to much sections...
>
> and imho it should remain as:
> genre-class

I tend to prefer this as well and started out doing it this way, it just
made it awkward for some stuff like kde/gnome-base stuff. But if we don't
mind that I do agree it's more logical to do genre-class.

> I think the most we should go for classes
> is
> -libs(mail-libs. etc.),
> -servers(http-servers, etc...),
> -apps(http-apps),
> -utils(x11-utils),
> -look(xfce-look),

Where do we put shells then? shells-apps? And where do we put kernels,
bootloaders, shadow, etc. without a system class? I think we need system
as a class, shells we could get away without if we agree somewhere else to
put them.

I think 'guis' is better than 'look', because 'look' is ambiguous as to
what goes in there. 'environment(|s)' is probably the best but it's a
mouthful, I guess not worse than the current 'windowmanagers'. But
whatever we call it I agree we can combine the windowmanagers and
guis(kde-guis) class.

> If you want to add an environment I'd go for along to some extent...
> But only for X/GTK/QT/GNOME/KDE/E/XFCE stuff and any other graphical
> system that provides some way of linking to it... i.e. libxfce4gui.so
> and such iirc

I'm fine leaving environment out, I assumed people would want that since we
have so many environment-based sections now. If we don't have it at all
then stuff like kde apps are split all over the other sections by genre and
people have to look more if they're looking from a "I want more kde apps"
perspective. And no, we shouldn't just keep putting all kde apps under
"kde-guis" regardless of what genre the app is in, that's completely broken
IMO. It makes it a pain for people just looking for a graphical mail
client that may or may not require their gui environment of choice.

I'll wait for a few more people to comment if they want they put up another
draft on the wiki.