sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] New sections

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Mathieu L." <lejatorn AT smgl.homelinux.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] New sections
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 09:45:41 +0200

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 12:30:49AM -0600, Jeremy Blosser (emrys) wrote:
> On Mar 17, Jeremy Blosser (emrys) [jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org] wrote:
> > On Mar 17, Mathieu L. [lejatorn AT smgl.homelinux.net] wrote:
> > > On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 12:54:13PM +0100, Thomas Houssin wrote:
> > >
> > > <snip>

> > > No problem here.
> > > I'd also like to split the ftp section in something like ftp-clients and
> > > ftp-daemons but emrys wanted me to wait until we agreed on a naming
> > > scheme. Are we there yet or not?
> >
> > No, I said I'd work on posting a general scheme, but then didn't have time
> > for something that large and have been working offline on cleaning up the
> > mail section instead.
> >
> > I still want to see a scheme before we start moving things though; I don't
> > like my original utils scheme much if there's so much interest in cleaning
> > up everything.
>
> See here:
>
> http://wiki.sourcemage.org/index.php?page=Grimoire+Section+Layout+Specification
>
> Next steps are to discuss this and see if it's a good idea, tweak it
> further to get what we want, and decide what it means for section
> maintenance, bugzilla, email aliases, etc. Then comes deciding how to
> implement it, either re-sorting all spells at once or just adding new
> spells to the new sections and moving others over time or some combination
> of this.

Thanks, I kinda like it except that it yields too many sections imo,
hence rending manual searching a bit tedious. I think the class & genre
classification is good enough and we should get rid of the environmental
sorting. (ppl can use gaze what to know wether the client is cli or gtk
based.)
Also, it may be better to prioritize genre over class in the naming, ie
use ftp-daemons instead of daemons-ftp, but I guess that depends on how
ppl think differently about it. I for one would start looking for ftp if
I were searching for proftpd, then I would realize that's a daemon I'm
looking for. Besides, this way would ressemble more the way we have it now
if we're aiming at a somewhat smooth transition. But that's no big deal,
I could accomodate for your way as well.

Otherwise, it seems pretty good like that and I'd say we should go for
it. Just my two cents...

Thanks again for the hard work,

Mathieu.

--
We are Microsoft. Linux is irrelevant.
Openness is futile. Prepare to be assimilated.