sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] New sections [Was: New archive and perl-cpan maintainer]

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Houssin <thomas.houssin AT gmail.com>
  • To: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] New sections [Was: New archive and perl-cpan maintainer]
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 12:54:13 +0100

> [...]
> -chkrootkit
> -cwrapper
> -dstat
> -htop
> -less
> -lsof
> -ltt
> -most
> -procinfo
> -procps
> -psmisc
> -sudo
> -time
> -tree
> -util-linux
> -vlock
> -which
>
> shell-apps: things which run in a shell and are unrelated to generic
scripts
> and systems administration (productivity apps, niche shell utils,
etc.)
> -barcode
> -boxes
> -devtodo
> -dvorakng
> -figlet
> -lxsplit
> -gcal
> -gnuplot
> -hd2u
> -hnb
> -ledger
> -nilsimsa
> -remind
> -upn
>
> shell-eyecandy: things which do nothing useful, but display something
pretty on
> the console
> -cmatrix
> -linux_logo
> These can probably go in "shell-apps" but they do something
fundamentally
> different, if we don't mind a section with only 2 apps (for now).
>
> console: things which modify/configure the behaviour of the console
> -855resolution
> -console-data
> -console-tools
> -fbset
> -screen*
> -splitvt*
> -zhcon
> *These are debatable; maybe they should be in "shell-admin-utils", but
they are
> mostly meant to modify the display and then just be there, they aren't
really
> "interactive".
>
> hardware-[base-]utils: things which allow querying/configuring/tuning
bios and
> base system hardware
> -athcool
> -dmidecode
> -hddtemp
> -hwdata
> -lshw
> -modutils
> -pciutils
> -powertweak
> -setserial
> -x86info
> -xmbmon
>
> [hardware-]peripheral-utils: things which allow
querying/configuring/using
> various peripherals
> -bluez-utils
> -bottlerocket
> -dmx4linux
> -heyu
> -heyu2
> -lcdproc
> -usbutils
>
> hardware-test: things which allow base system hardware
testing/benchmarking
> -bonnie++
> -memtest86
> -nbench-byte
> -smartmontools
>
> emulators: system emulators
> -bochs
> -bochs-snapshot
> -hercules
> -xen
>
> [x11-]terms: terminal emulators
> -aterm
> -mrxvt
> -rxvt
> -rxvt-unicode
> -wterm
> -x3270
> -multi-aterm
> -multi-gnome-terminal
> -powershell
>
> fm: file managers
> -claw
> -fm
> -mc
> -dfm
> -emelfm
> -emelfm2
> -endeavour2
> -gentoo
> -gnome-commander
> -kcommander3
> -krusader
> -rox
> -viewglob
> -worker
> -xfe
> -xfm
> -xfsm
> -xnc
>
> system: core system infrastructure (system daemons, or base config
files
> expected to just be there by many parts of a running system); more of
these are
> split out below for things that belong in this category but have a lot
of
> similar spells already
> -acpid
> -at
> -daemon
> -dbus*
> -fam
> -gamin
> -gpm
> -hal
> -installwatch
> -kbd
> -kudzu
> -ntp
> -qlogin
> -rdate
> -shared-mime-info
> -supervise-scripts
> -sysvinit
> -uptimed
> -watchdog
> *dbus is the DCOP system, which does the same thing ORBit does; ORBit
is in
> "gnome-libs" right now but has no GNOME dependencies; I suggest moving
ORBit to
> this "system" section as well (assuming it is created). If not, dbus
should go
> to "kde" for consistency.
>
> system-auth: things related to system authentication and authorization
(pam,
> shadow, etc.)
> -Linux-PAM
> -linux-pam
> -linux-pam-headers
> -nss_ldap
> -pam_chroot
> -pam_ldap
> -pam_mysql
> -pam_passwdqc
> -shadow
>
> system-cron: cron daemons and configs
> -cron-smgl
> -fcron
> -fcrontabs
> -hc-cron
> -hc-crontabs
> -mcron
> -run-parts
>
> system-syslog: sysloggers and log rotaters
> -metalog
> -rottlog
> -sysklogd
> -syslog-ng
>
> =========================
>
> Things currently in "utils" which belong in other existing sections,
based on
> their descriptions:
>
> archive
> -stow*
> *This is debatable, but this is where alien and rpm are now. Do we
need some
> kind of "package-managers" section?
>
> database
> -cdb
>
> devel
> -autogen
> -compilercache
> -xdelta*
> *Debatable, but this is where diffutils is.
>
> ftp
> -unison*
> *Debatable, but this is where rsync is.
>
> graphics
> -tgif
>
> smgl
> -default-profile
> -useful-profile
>
> x11*
> -clarence
> -desktop-file-utils+
> -ghasher
> -gps
> -hot-babe
> -pyxdg+
> -rdesktop
> -usbview
> *As far as I can tell the "x11" section is the catchall for X apps.
If we
> create the suggested "shell-utils", "shell-apps", etc. sections, I'd
suggest
> reworking this section as well for "x11-utils", "x11-apps", etc.
> +These two aren't graphical themselves but pertain to graphical
desktop setup,
> perhaps we need a "desktop" or "x11-desktop" section?
>
> z-?
> -nvparse*
> *License is "UNKNOWN".

Everbody seemed to like Jeremy's new sections, so can we begin to apply
these changes in devel ?

--
Thomas Houssin

Key ID = 42404C36
Key fingerprint = 3CB8 3FC4 840D B272 E623 BCB8 54DB F4E3 4240 4C36
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x42404C36