sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] tablet and broken POST_REMOVE

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arjan Bouter <abouter AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] tablet and broken POST_REMOVE
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 12:23:32 +0100

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 10:51:35 +0100
Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> there's a problem with the tablet if the PRE_REMOVE/POST_REMOVE spell
> files put there are broken in some way, e.g. like the gnumeric
> POST_REMOVE was broken:
> Preparing to install gnumeric2
> /var/state/sorcery/tablet/gnumeric2/20050308195706/spell/POST_REMOVE:
> line 1: update_desktop_database: command not found
> ! Problem Detected !
>
> root@Otherland:~# dispel gnumeric2
> /var/state/sorcery/tablet/gnumeric2/20050308195706/spell/POST_REMOVE:
> line 1: update_desktop_database: command not found
>
> Dufflebunk told me on IRC that we can use PRE_PRE_REMOVE to fix those
> files, so how would I find the tablet dir to fix it (no function for
> that in libapi)?

There's a bug filed against dispel for this: Bug #8452

The temporary solution for this is to source the FUNCTIONS file in POST_REMOVE
before you call the function. Like this:
source $GRIMOIRE/FUNCTIONS

This will source the FUNCTIONS file from the grimoire the spell is cast from.

BTW, i fixed all POST_REMOVES with this line a few days ago for devel and test
grimoires. are you talking about the stable grimoire here?

> Another question is, do we really want dispel to fail if POST_REMOVE
> failed? When POST_REMOVE gets run the spell _is_ already dispelled, so
> now I don't have gnumeric2 installed anymore but sorcery still thinks it
> is installed.
> In my opinion dispel should only fail if PRE_REMOVE or the dispel itself
> fails and just issue a warning if POST_REMOVE fails. Thought on that?

I agree, anything which must be done when a spell is dispel'ed should already
have happened by the time POST_REMOVE is reached.

Arjan