sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] suggestion for the udev spell

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arjan Bouter <abouter AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] suggestion for the udev spell
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 04:33:03 +0100

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 19:05:56 -0800
Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us> wrote:

> Quoting Arjan Bouter <abouter AT sourcemage.org>:
> <snip>
> > It works a little different, in udev.conf only one line changes, which
> > currently
> > points to a single udev.rules file. That would change to the dir rules.d
> > That dir would contain the various *.rules which contain the actual rules.
> > so our current udev.rules would be in rules.d/default.rules or something
> > and
> > spells would have a much easier time adding/changing rules.
>
> Right, but what I meant was that whatever we do, /etc/udev/udev.conf should
> still point to some default rules so that users (and some weird
> applications)
> used to using it won't freak out. :)

I suggest placing the current udev.rules into /etc/udev/rules.d/udev.rules
the .rules part is mandatory anyways.

> > This would then be used by spells like cdrtools to allow users to burn.
> > Off course adding rules to udev.d should be asked to the user 1st ;)
>
> Of course. :) Default to not or do? Do would ensure the device works, but
> might
> annoy a few. I say default to a sane "working" device (so install the rule
> by
> default).

a sane working device must always be installed. the difference is that spells
can just dump a whatever.rules into a dir to change stuff according to what
the
user asks for. an example:

i'm using qingy instead of *dm or agetty. it needs specific
permissions on /dev/psaux, /dev/tty0 and /dev/fb0
so i went and changed my udev setup to reflect the suggested changes and all i
had to do is dump these lines into /etc/udev/rules.d/qingy.rules:
KERNEL="fb?" NAME="%k", MODE="0660", GROUP="tty"
KERNEL="psaux" NAME="%k", MODE="0660", GROUP="tty"
KERNEL="tty0" NAME="%k", MODE="0660", GROUP="tty"

Arjan