sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] suggestion for the udev spell

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Flavien Bridault <flavien.bridault AT free.fr>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] suggestion for the udev spell
  • Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 01:24:06 +0100

Le mardi 08 mars 2005 à 00:23 +0100, Arjan Bouter a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> It might be nice for the udev spell to default to:
>
> udev_rules="/etc/udev/rules.d"
>
> instead of
>
> udev_rules="/etc/udev/udev.rules"
>
> in /etc/udev/udev.conf, so we can let spells like cdrtools install a file in
> /etc /udev/rules.d instead of using sed on a (possibly) modified udev.rules
> file. IMHO that's a much 'cleaner' way to go than the current setup.
>
> Any thoughts on this?
>
> Arjan
> (abouter)

Well I like this idea as I told you ;-)

But I think you mean this way we should deprecate /etc/udev/udev.rules
and split it between multiple files in /etc/udev/rules.d ? I'm ok with
this but we must decide how we will split it. Per device type ? I think
we should think first about all the spells that might need to change
udev rules. We will have then a better idea of what to do.

So, for my part, as you said, cdrom devices should go in a dedicate
file, maybe /etc/udev/rules.d/cdroms ?

Any others ?