sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO contrib file

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Benoit PAPILLAULT <benoit.papillault AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO contrib file
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 09:27:21 +0100

Andrew a écrit :
Yea, but remember that authorship, ownership, patent holder, copyright
owner, liscensor, and releasor all bear different meanings :) So I dont
think the question is ever about removing authorship its just about who
is the proper copyright owner in this case, they can be the same, but
can also be different. Authorship (IMO) is best left to be described in
ChangeLogs and through revision history.

Yes. That's why I'm not sure about all of this. The worst I've seen is that GPL'ed software does not imply it's not covered by a patent or trademark law (see Kaffe, Mozilla, ...).

I just reread the GPL FAQ [1] and it says:

"If several people have helped write the code, use ALL their names. If you have copied code from other programs covered by the same license, copy their copyright notices too. Put all the copyright notices together, right near the top of EACH file."

So, I think we were right to have the copyright statements at the top of each files. We now need to add the GPL header too and a COPYING file since right now the word "GPL" is not in the source code :-)

Benoit PAPILLAULT, ISO guru

[1] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html