sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO contrib file

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Benoit PAPILLAULT <benoit.papillault AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO contrib file
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 08:48:38 +0100

Andrew a écrit :
<snip>

That's pretty much how I understand it as well, thanks Andrew. :)

Maybe it would be good to setup an official policy on this stuff that
can be applied to all current and future things we release. We can come
to a consensus on what our policy for copyrighting, changeloging, etc
should be and then ensure that all files/products follow those guidelines.

Than if anyone has any questions they refer to the policy, and when we
make adjustments to fit that policy we'll have already come to a consensus
on what that policy is so there wont be any question over whether we
can do it or not.

That what I was asking. I was not asking for what people thinks here on the subject, I was asking for reference to documents that could lead anyone to the same conclusion on whether such thing is legal or not and how it has to be done. Maybe it's not the right place however...

For instance, I've heard that it's better to assign copyright to a common organisation (like a project) to avoid the burden of contact all the contributors if you want to change the original license, say from GPL to dual GPL/BSD for instance.

I also know that (in France at least) authorship is /in theory/ automatically granted whenever you make a work even if it is never published. The problem being that it's very hard to proof and thus national organisation (INPI in France) is trying to convince you that you'd better registered everything, trademarks or patents (but of course, it's a business for them).

Benoit PAPILLAULT, ISO guru

PS: I do not want to have my name in /every/ file...