sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO contrib file

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Benoit PAPILLAULT <benoit.papillault AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO contrib file
  • Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 21:19:11 +0100

Karsten Behrmann a écrit :
Hi all!
We recently removed all the copyright junk from the top of smgl.install.
The question came up if that was legally completely right and if
those people should not be mentioned somewhere.
So (also in absence of a well-kept ChangeLog) there is no other
place anyone could see who worked on the ISO.

So I whipped up a /CONTRIB file for the ISO to put all credits in.
It currently resides at //sgl/cauldron/proj/proj2/iso/skeleton/CONTRIB
I'm still wondering how to sort the people... maybe alphabetically would
be best...

The installer (currently the single file smgl.install) is a standalone software (but so far distributed only as part of the ISO). It might be released as such (ie standalone) in the future. That's why I think it's better to keep copyright notice along with name of the contributor in the file itself. This does not prevent us from maintaining a CONTRIB file as well...

The next question I raised is whether "Source Mage GNU/Linux" can be considered as a legal entity to which copyright can be assigned. AFAIK, "Source Mage GNU/Linux" is not registered as a company, non profit organisation, association or something like that.

I'd like those questions to be answered for the sake of clarity.

But of course, IANAL! :-)

Benoit PAPILLAULT, ISO guru