sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] ISO generation

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Karsten Behrmann <BearPerson AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] ISO generation
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 15:54:53 +0100

Hi guys, hi Cauldron/ISO team!
I guess I'll start the discussion on ISO generation scripts open for
everyone. Just to make it clear, I do not favor my scripts any way else
than that they include what I think is sensible, they represent (mostly)
my opinion of things. I don't care who wrote the scripts I use and
maintain as long as they do what they should.
And here's a list of things that IMO they should:

1. clearly seperate config/code:
For routine changes (adding of a spell or file) you should only have
to modify a clearly defined configuration file, not search in some
bash code for the for loop where the files/dirs are in.

2. use the skeleton:
I just like the idea. If any non-spell (or overriding a spell) file
needs to be on the ISO, it's in a directory tree representing the ISO.
If any file needs changing, it can be found quickly. No more cat <<EOF's.

3. use templates:
This is the logical consequence of 2.: There are bound to be some files
that contain more-or-less dynamic content. Version numbers, Architectures
and lines differing in different architectures will have to be inserted
after copying the skeleton. I'm working on good code for it though.

We could maybe solve the different-arch problem by creating several files,
like isolinux.cfg.ppc and such. That could be rather easily coded,
but might be a second more work to maintain. Comments?

And one day, we might even support
4. automagical chroot maintenance:
The scripts should one day detect outdated spells and recast them,
making sure no dependencies creep in, using the spell config from the
official cauldron stuff and so on. Using cast in ISO creation would
be a beginning. Of course this will make the scripts require to be
run in a chroot (or another environment that doesn't care having
sorcery configs changed and sorcery code patched)

Well, I guess that's it for now,
So Far,
Karsten