sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] smgl.installer work

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "David Kowis" <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: "Karsten Behrmann" <BearPerson AT gmx.net>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] smgl.installer work
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 04:52:33 -0600 (CST)

<quote who="Karsten Behrmann">
>> I'm a fool and have decided to work on the smgl.installer script.
>> I mean really work on it. I've completely torn it apart and I'm not done
>> with the knife. I've got big plans. I've attached a TODO file that lists
>> the stuff that I'd like to do.
> Okay, good thing. One question though, what version of smgl.install are
> you using?
The one I'm working on might be about 2 weeks or so old.

> I don't think it would be too great if you tore a one-month-old version
> into pieces and we have to re-integrate all our changes to the different
> parts. If you've got a day or two, I can fix you up a merge of benoit's
> latest (p4 version of) smgl.install with my current one (basically the
> one with your comments added and one or two hotfixes)
I've pretty much already started tearing one apart. I haven't changed any
code, just split the stuff up. Which took a few hours anyway...
If there's a whole lot of fixes put into the smgl.install then I suppose I
could start over. I'd like to freeze it, though, for a while until I can
get it split apart and in a functional order. This isn't exactly a small
change, it's taking a 2600 line file and breaking it apart into smaller
pieces, and reorganizing it, and writing a seperate installer that calls
the functions and such. IMO, only one thing should be done to this at a
time. If this stuff should be postponed until it's in a stable bug-free
state, then perhaps I should stop what I'm doing. I was working on
creating the seperate installer. What bug/hot fixes have been put in?
lots? if so, then I should start over, but if they're trivial or extra
features, perhaps it should wait until i can get this split up and
reorganized...

> So, should I get that vimdiff cracking or what's your intention?
> Rewriting the thing entirely might be a little hard/pointless/lenghty.
When I say rewrite, i guess I mean more of a restructure. I don't want to
rewrite the functional parts. I just want to restructure how they're
called, how they return, etc.

> So Far,
> Karsten
> p.s.: As for generation scripts, /please/ don't write a set of your own.
Hadn't planned on it. I just might ask you guys for a space to generate a
couple of the list files I've got planned

> p.p.s.: You might want to add a "load modules" dialog in the installer
> too,
> for those modules that aren't on the initrd for size reasons.
I'm not sure that I want to add features yet. I want to restructure this
thing so that it's easy to do this type of stuff in the future. Define a
specific way of creating menu items and functions and stuff.

> p.p.p.s: I can help you with bash hacking/scripting/explaining, so if you
> need anything, I'll try to be around on IRC a bit. I could maybe also take
> some work off your shoulders if needed, but I've also got my genscripts to
> worry about.
Thanks, but I think I'll be able to get it, the only thing slowing me down
is lack-o-time.