sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Sorcery message verbosity getting out of hand?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Schabell <eschabell AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Sorcery message verbosity getting out of hand?
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 12:21:50 +0000

On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 01:30:39PM -0700, Andrew wrote:
> Can you describe what messages you think are too verbose or uninteresting?
> They may very well just be left over debug messages.

The various "nothing to do" lines and depends tracing messages... nice
for a higher setting of verbosity, but the basics should be a bit less
info for a user.

The problem is that most readers of this list are not just 'users' but
like to know what is going on as a developer does when tracing a cast.
If and when we ever hit 1.0 then you will see normal 'users' hit the
scene whom have no interest in dependency tracing.

> My usual mode of operation is to try and keep the user informed of whats
> going on. For example I added more messages to depends resolution because
> there can be huge pauses in certain cases and it can seem as if sorcery
> isnt doing anything.

We have nice spinners and progress bars for this as cleanse and --fix
show. That was always enough in the earlier days of sorcery.

> I agree that having an adjustable level of verbosity would be
> advantageous. Its a bit too late to do all that for 1.11 imo but
> hopefully we can get something in for 1.12.

Yes, this will be a rather broad change to implement.

Thanks,

erics