sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Question about ppc port

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Question about ppc port
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 10:26:36 -0700

On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 10:06:45AM -0700, Eric Sandall wrote:
> Quoting Rohan Nicholls <rohan.nicholls AT pareto.nl>:
> > I have a question about the ppc port of smgl. I notice that the intel
> > version has a new (and sensible) naming scheme, and I was wondering if
> > the ppc versions are equivalent to the old intel versions or if ppc is
> > following its own numbering scheme.
> >
> > If not, where would that put the ppc port as far as grimoires and the
> > package management software (sorcery) compared to the intel port?
> >
> > Thanks again,
>
> The latest PPC ISO does not use the same installation scripts as the x86
> ISO as
> it was mostly just updated from the 0.8.1 ISO instead of using the latest
> Cauldron scripts, but the next PPC/x86 ISOs should be closer together in
> that
> respect. As for Sorcery and the grimoires, they may be a little more
> up-to-date
> on the PPC ISO since it was released a while after the x86 ISO, but that
> should
> be the only difference.
>
> Now that our ISO/Cauldron Team is getting back all of our ISOs should
> follow the
> same layout with the same grimoires and Sorcery on them (unless Unet decides
> otherwise :)).

I of course made the assumption that after the initial install you would
do sorcery/scribe update to get up to date sorcery and grimoires, at
which point you'd be no different than x86 in that regard.

-Andrew

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt at sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot at t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | |
|Sorcery Team Lead, Porting Team Lead | |
|Grimoire Guru ham/smgl | ftp://t.armory.com |
|Author and Maintainer of Prometheus | |