sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Question about ppc port

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Question about ppc port
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 09:47:47 -0700

On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 04:41:37PM +0200, Rohan Nicholls wrote:
> I have a question about the ppc port of smgl. I notice that the intel
> version has a new (and sensible) naming scheme, and I was wondering if
> the ppc versions are equivalent to the old intel versions or if ppc is
> following its own numbering scheme.
>
> If not, where would that put the ppc port as far as grimoires and the
> package management software (sorcery) compared to the intel port?

afaik ppc isos are on their own numbering right now, I run sourcemage on
my ibook and I installed from the 0.8.1 iso. I outlined my experiences
and tried to mention some gotcha's on the wiki [0]. Since then, theres
been a new iso, but i dont know how they differ. As always irc is a
good place to come if you run into trouble. Currently we're low on
ppc users to try out the iso, so theres little feedback on them so
thats all I can really say at the moment.

As far as the grimoires and sorcery go, sorcery doesn't really care
what processor it runs on, we use the same exact code on either
platform (its all bash with a helping of sed and awk). Likewise with
the grimoire, we distribute the same grimoires for either architecture
(nothing really changes, we're very agnostic about the whole thing). In
my experience I've had only 1 or 2 spells fail to build on ppc (mpg123 and
hddtemp). I would imagine intel and sparc boot loaders would fail too
(lilo grub and silo), but theres no reason to install those anyway. We've
discussed adding some code to sorcery so spells that only build on certain
platforms can tell sorcery about it and avoid the build failures, however
since most spells are fine, theres not much benefit to adding that right
now in comparison with other work going on in sorcery.

-Andrew

[0] http://wiki.sourcemage.org/index.php?page=Install+on+a+ppc

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt at sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot at t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | |
|Sorcery Team Lead, Porting Team Lead | |
|Grimoire Guru ham/smgl | ftp://t.armory.com |
|Author and Maintainer of Prometheus | |