sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Question about ppc port

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Rohan Nicholls <rohan.nicholls AT pareto.nl>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Question about ppc port
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 11:12:50 +0200

On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 18:47, Andrew wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 04:41:37PM +0200, Rohan Nicholls wrote:
> As always irc is a
> good place to come if you run into trouble.

Ahhh, irc, I will keep that in mind.

> Currently we're low on
> ppc users to try out the iso, so theres little feedback on them so
> thats all I can really say at the moment.

Thanks for that, very helpful and I have started reading about your
experiences....

> As far as the grimoires and sorcery go, sorcery doesn't really care
> what processor it runs on, we use the same exact code on either
> platform (its all bash with a helping of sed and awk). Likewise with
> the grimoire, we distribute the same grimoires for either architecture
> (nothing really changes, we're very agnostic about the whole thing). In
> my experience I've had only 1 or 2 spells fail to build on ppc (mpg123 and
> hddtemp). I would imagine intel and sparc boot loaders would fail too
> (lilo grub and silo), but theres no reason to install those anyway. We've
> discussed adding some code to sorcery so spells that only build on certain
> platforms can tell sorcery about it and avoid the build failures, however
> since most spells are fine, theres not much benefit to adding that right
> now in comparison with other work going on in sorcery.

I think I must have been getting myself confused, probably because of my
experience with binary distributions, and a really nice advantage of
source based package systems. With a number of the distros that are not
specifically PPC based, the PPC port tends to fall behind the i386 as
they just don't have enough people to compile packages.

Thanks for clearing this up for me, allays many of my fears.

I want to install to a second hard drive on the mac, and OS9 is
installed on the first disk, do I still need to partition the first
disk? The reason I am asking is that the Mac has been adopted by my
wife, and if I mess things up so she cannot get at OS9, my mutilated
corpse will never be found.....

If I do need to repartition that drive, are there any ideas without
losing all her data and settings? ie. a partition resizing program for
the mac that anyone knows about?

Thanks again for any help....

Rohan