sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] perforce vs. others

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Paul <dufflebunk AT dufflebunk.homeip.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] perforce vs. others
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 13:45:19 -0400

One thing that bears mentioning, is that the Perforce people stepped up
when we really needed a replacement CVS type server. I believe they even
use SMGL on one or two computers... They've given us great support, and
other than a few technical problems (including a bad HD on the server)
we havn't had reason to complain.

Yeah, some people have issues with OSS projects using non-OSS
infrastructure. Personaly, I don't care. I'll take whatever is
first/easiest. There are alternatives to p4, I haven't made any indepth
survey of CVS type programs, but I do know that p4 is doing everything
we need, and we need people focusing on developing SMGL, not getting
used to another CVS or converting meta-data from one to the other, or
stepping on each others toes during the conversion.

But that's just MHO ;)

On Mon, 2004-14-06 at 19:00 +0200, Maurizio Boriani wrote:

> [...]
>
> Vladimír> What will we gain when switch from perforce ?
>
> we gain free :)
>
> Vladimír> On the other hand, I can imagine what we will
> Vladimír> loose. Let's say minimally 25 man-hour to convert to
> Vladimír> something else. Remember there's a lot of accounts set
> Vladimír> up currently. We wouldn't be able easilly to convert
> Vladimír> project to something else simply (not loosing history
> Vladimír> ofcourse). And then, everyone using it will have to make
> Vladimír> the change too, copying by hand uncommited differences.
>
> imagine this:
> a) what's up if perforce corp fails and stops to give support
> b) increase licence price
> c) obly us (which do free-software for policy) to use proprietary software
> which is a non-sense.
> d) everything free-software can and proprietary one cannot :)
a) Then we move.
b) They can triple it it won't affect us.
c) This is silly. It's like saying no corporation should use free
software.
d) I'm not sure I understand this point.

> Vladimír> I think we must have clear WHY to change. Only
> Vladimír> possibility I can think off is that we won't get the
> Vladimír> licence for perforce renewed, and it will stop to work
> Vladimír> for us.
>
> ideologically I think is the first one :) then all others could be
> implemented
>
> Vladimír> I was recently in charge converting cvs->svn of one two
> Vladimír> year project, and I can tell you, it's really
> Vladimír> ungratefull task :)
>
> I know... is and hard work but someone surely will do if so is decided
No, people don't just pop up from nowhere willing to do tedious grunt
work. IF that were the case, many bugs would have been closed a long
time ago.