sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] perforce vs. others

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Vladimír Marek <vlmarek AT volny.cz>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] perforce vs. others
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 18:45:18 +0200

> Hi all,
> why use perforce (a proprietary software) for code versioning instead of
> arch or cvs? Which advantages are there in using it (I never used it
> before)?

Well I'm not probably the right one to answer you, since I haven't set
up our repository, just using it. But let's turn this question upwards.

What will we gain when switch from perforce ?

On the other hand, I can imagine what we will loose. Let's say minimally
25 man-hour to convert to something else. Remember there's a lot of
accounts set up currently. We wouldn't be able easilly to convert
project to something else simply (not loosing history ofcourse). And
then, everyone using it will have to make the change too, copying by
hand uncommited differences.

I think we must have clear WHY to change. Only possibility I can think
off is that we won't get the licence for perforce renewed, and it will
stop to work for us.

I was recently in charge converting cvs->svn of one two year project,
and I can tell you, it's really ungratefull task :)

[...]

--
Neuron