sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] perforce vs. others

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Maurizio Boriani <debauxit AT yahoo.it>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] perforce vs. others
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 19:00:52 +0200

[...]

Vladimír> What will we gain when switch from perforce ?

we gain free :)

Vladimír> On the other hand, I can imagine what we will
Vladimír> loose. Let's say minimally 25 man-hour to convert to
Vladimír> something else. Remember there's a lot of accounts set
Vladimír> up currently. We wouldn't be able easilly to convert
Vladimír> project to something else simply (not loosing history
Vladimír> ofcourse). And then, everyone using it will have to make
Vladimír> the change too, copying by hand uncommited differences.

imagine this:
a) what's up if perforce corp fails and stops to give support
b) increase licence price
c) obly us (which do free-software for policy) to use proprietary software
which is a non-sense.
d) everything free-software can and proprietary one cannot :)

Vladimír> I think we must have clear WHY to change. Only
Vladimír> possibility I can think off is that we won't get the
Vladimír> licence for perforce renewed, and it will stop to work
Vladimír> for us.

ideologically I think is the first one :) then all others could be implemented

Vladimír> I was recently in charge converting cvs->svn of one two
Vladimír> year project, and I can tell you, it's really
Vladimír> ungratefull task :)

I know... is and hard work but someone surely will do if so is decided

bye

--
Maurizio Boriani
GPG key: 0xCC0FBF8F