sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] rpmunpack in basesystem

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] rpmunpack in basesystem
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 14:48:05 -0500 (CDT)

Another possibility (just throwing out ideas here), is that each archive
type (bzip2, gzip, rpm, compress, zip, etc) could be handled similar to
how urls are handled (i.e. /var/lib/sorcery/modules/archive_handlers/*).
The archive_bz2 and archive_gz handlers could be included in sorcery, and
the archive_rpm, archive_zip, etc. would be installed by the relevant
spells.

The disadvantage (which is pretty big), is that the parts of the sorcery
code would be sort of disconnected from the sorcery package. Not sure if
this is a good idea. However, once written, I don't see the archive
handlers changing very much.

Not really sure if I like this idea myself...

-casey