sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Architecture-dependent spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Architecture-dependent spells
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 19:40:11 +0200

On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 08:56:37PM -0700, Eric Sandall wrote:
> Quoting Jason Flatt <jason AT flattfamily.com>:
> > I agree that the first one sounds like the quickest and easiest way to go,
> > but
> > I think the second one is the more correct way to go. I also think that
> > modifying sorcery and spells to work around this problem is extra work
> > that
> > adds unnecessary complication. We have enough other things to do already
> > and
> >
> > creating special grimoires will do solve the problem nicely. But that's
> > just
> >
> > me. :^)
>
> Sounds like people prefere the second way (as do I). ;) How about we do
> plan #1
> for now, and then work on plan #2 as we have time (shouldn't take much
> longer
> than #1, but #1 facilitates #2)?

I'd really prefer a flag in DETAILS saying on which architectures the spell
works.
Making arch specific grimoires makes the whole thing a lot more
complicated, especially thinking about the future with more than the
current x86 and ppc archs. E.g. if a spell work on x86 and ppc, but not
on sparc and arm, we'd need to maintain two seperate version of the
spell (one for ppc, one for x86), with a flag we'd just mark the spell
working on x86 and ppc and maintain it in one place.

http://www.sourcemage.org