sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Architecture-dependent spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jason Flatt <jason AT flattfamily.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Architecture-dependent spells
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 20:19:19 -0700

On Wednesday 12 May 2004 1:51 pm, Eric Sandall wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> Easy plan (I like this one the best):
> Create extra grimoires for our non-x86 architectures: currently only ppc
> (but we also have a sparc app: silo) and move non-x86-specific packages
> into their respective locales.
>
> More correct plan (this one would make other architectures work better
> [i.e. no x86 specific apps to break on their machines]):
> Create extra grimoires for all architecture-specific applications
> (including x86) and move spells which only compile and/or are written
> specifically for those applications to their respective grimoires.
>

> Thoughts?
>
> -sandalle

I agree that the first one sounds like the quickest and easiest way to go,
but
I think the second one is the more correct way to go. I also think that
modifying sorcery and spells to work around this problem is extra work that
adds unnecessary complication. We have enough other things to do already and
creating special grimoires will do solve the problem nicely. But that's just
me. :^)

--
Jason Flatt (jason @ flattfamily . com)
Father of five (http://www.flattfamily.com/)