sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Marketing SMGL: How do you use SMGL?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
  • To: Jaanus Heeringson <jaanus AT heeringson.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Marketing SMGL: How do you use SMGL?
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 11:48:31 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 13 May 2004, Jaanus Heeringson wrote:
> 1. Do you use SMGL for personal purposes, professional or both?

Both.

> 2. How many installations do you have?

24 currently.

> 3. What is the main function of your SMGL box(es)? Desktop or server?

6 servers, 18 desktops.

> What kind of server?

web, mail, web/mail, ftp, 2 x database/nfs/nis

> 4. Why did you choose SMGL?

Precise control over what is being installed and how each package is
built (what optional features/depends are used). On most of the desktops,
I've sacrificed processor specific optimizations in order to share
binaries between intel/amd boxen.

> 5. What do you miss in SMGL?

Over other distributions? Nothing really.

> 6. Do you work with Linux professionally?

Yes.

-casey