sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Optional dependencies and dependency mess

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
  • To: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Optional dependencies and dependency mess
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 11:24:36 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Andrew wrote:

> You guys have pretty much gone the same way that I did with my conceptual
> model of this. Each spell gets its own miniature depends file listing
> what depends/flags it was compiled with, and this special file is included
> in the cache tarball.
>
> when a spell is successfully cast the working copy of the depends info
> is copied to the installed depends info for that particular spell.

I agree, seems like we're on the same page here.

> resurrecting makes things a bit tricky since the cache's tarball includes
> the depends info, which may be different than the (possibly nonexistant)
> installed depends info, but its fairly easy to rip it out of the cache
> file if we make sure it gets into the tar file first.

When resurrecting, the depends info for the spell being resurrected could
probably just be extracted automatically (along with the
install/compile/md5 logs). It would also need to be extracted prior to
resurrecting (to a temporary location, or even just to stdout) to
determine if the dependencies are valid and if not, adding spells to the
install queue as needed.

> I like the ideas, lets keep them coming.

I've mentioned in the splitting BUILD thread, that it might be necessary
to have POST_INSTALL and the init.d/xinet.d queries run on resurrect as
well. This would require cleaning up POST_INSTALL's to not reference
SOURCE_DIRECTORY.

> Im going to plan some irc meetings next month to hash out these ideas
> and get them planned out. But by all means, keep discussing :)

Great, I look forward to those meetings!

-casey