sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Optional dependencies and dependency mess

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
  • To: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Optional dependencies and dependency mess
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 19:40:21 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Eric Sandall wrote:
> However, this brings up another point: Do we want to have Sorcery defaults
> be
> sane defaults to have everything work and keep going, or default to not
> change
> anything unless specified? What I mean is in the above, would we want
> Sorcery
> to default to 'y' that way unattended casts (and attended ones) have a
> default
> option that would make the new cast work, or do we want Sorcery to default
> not do anything if it would change another package?

I think defaulting to not change anything unless specified is the better
option. If that means not updating a spell because a dependency would need
to be re-cast with new options, then that spell should fail. I mentioned
the openldap and krb5 dependencies I gained from doing an unattended
update, definitely not desired behavior.

-casey