sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Optional dependencies and dependency mess

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Optional dependencies and dependency mess
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 13:02:53 -0800

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 01:49:34PM -0600, Casey Harkins wrote:
> It might also be possible to avoid this by ensuring everything is tracked.
> This wasn't possible for spells that changed things like /etc/profile, but
> with the use of /etc/profile.d/ this is possible. If we could handle all
> cases similarily, the need for executing POST_INSTALL on resurrection
> could possible be avoided. The flexibility still might be nice to have
> though.

As it stands we can't track everything without doing a lot of work on dispel.
(yet another thing clinging to the todo list).

In a perfect world, all files would be tracked, sometimes by multiple spells,
and we would have some nice happy heuristics to decide when a file should be
removed, based on things like if its changed, if another spell owns it,
if we think its special, if the user decides its special, etc.

IMO, if we are going to truely have resurrect support, which we need if
we want to remove the crufty image.tar.bz2 from the iso, then we need
some sort of PRE_RES and a POST_RES type of scripts for them to run,
as well as to include their dependency info. POST_RES could of course
default to POST_INSTALL.

Yes I know, we are a source distribution, but like it or not resurrect
is a supported (and handy) feature. Im tired of crufting our way around it.

But anyways, this is all in my master plan for world domination. No need
to worry :)

-Andrew

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt AT sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot AT t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | |
|Grimoire Guru ham/smgl, Porting Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com |
|Author and Maintainer of Prometheus | |