sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] init woes

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Tony Smith <tony AT smee.org>
  • To: Paul Mahon <dufflebunk AT dufflebunk.homeip.net>, Seth Woolley <seth AT tautology.org>
  • Cc: Robert Helgesson <rycee AT home.se>, sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] init woes
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 09:55:30 +0100

On Thursday 09 October 2003 11:59 pm, Paul Mahon wrote:
> No, Python is soo amaturish. We should use Java and change the
> simpleinit scripts to XML.

Now you're just trolling ;-) but in case you mean it I'll bite:

1. Python is ugly, but it's not amaturish. Java on the other hand has some
fundamental issues that I certainly do consider amaturish: filename must
equal class name is the big one. That causes huge headaches for developers -
because renaming a class means renaming the file. That's OK when you're on
your own but in a team it's tough because renames are much harder than normal
edits to merge.

Ruby is far cleaner than both Python and Java.

2. Simpleinit is _simple_, XML is anything but. I'll stick with simpleinit
thanks. IMHO, XML has one great use-case (apart from HTML) and that is
data-exchange. Everywhere else I've seen it used something simpler would have
been better.

Tony