sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] init woes

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Woolley <seth AT tautology.org>
  • To: Paul Mahon <dufflebunk AT dufflebunk.homeip.net>
  • Cc: Robert Helgesson <rycee AT home.se>, sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] init woes
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 15:16:57 -0700 (PDT)

Current init uses a fifo/named pipe on /dev/initctl -- I'm not sure how
this works with devfs, but it appears to work. I can look into the source
code on how it does this exactly in a bit if somebody doesn't beat me to
it while I'm at work. I'm sure afrayednot's stuff can use that pipe, eh?

If we save the clock time right away, we can minuplate the clock value
(though it is slightly volatile, esp. in seconds field) and gain some few
extra bits from that.

Seth

P.S. Yes, Java and XML would be great. Then we can have the boot screen
use the gecko rendering engine SVG-enabled and display trees of
depenedencies and stuff in SVG. A bit custom, but all-in-all a great
idea and we should look into it.