sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] p4 / cvs / alternate servers

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] p4 / cvs / alternate servers
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 12:52:34 -0700

Im bored so I figure I'll speak my mind on this.

As i recall we had a p4 -> cvs sync from before, if we didnt I think its
pretty simple to have one set up based on my knowledge of cvs after 1
day. run p4 sync, then cvs commit and have the p4 views the same as the
cvs checkout directory. going back im not clear on because I dont know
how to ask cvs what files have changed.

Seeing as how we now have a real cvs server I think we should move
automatic tarball generation over to it and make it the 'master'. We may
as well do this because thats the direction i think we are headed anyway.

One thing that sourcemage has always been lacking is a descent (any?) cvs
howto guide. It will make using cvs easier for guru's knowing what
commads do what. To my understanding the basic commands are cvs checkout
and update to set things up and keep them updated (p4 sync), changing
files is easy, as we dont have to do p4 edit, the rough equivalent to
p4 submit is a cvs commit. What im unclear on is making new spells,
how does one add a directory? cvs add <directory>? I also dont know
how we will handle 'p4 integrate' but thats seems to be handled by the
'cp' command. Anything else Im missing?

short of that, i think we ought to consider becoming more cvs centric. Any
of us can host backup cvs repositories and in a pinch keep things
afloat. I dont think we should be at the mercy of a proprietary source
repository anymore.

Thats just my thought on the issue.

setup p4 -> cvs and use cvs as the main center of grimoire
maintainence. Then everyone who wants to use p4 can still use it while
we make the transition.

Andrew