sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Possible Overwrite config file solution...

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT optimaltec.com>
  • To: Rob Verkuylen <sourcemage AT verkuylen.net>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Possible Overwrite config file solution...
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 19:14:19 -0400

My understanding is that we need to create a way for spells to list their configuration directories and files in a uniform way, similar to DETAILS etc. Then, it's a matter of sorcery handling this list and creating a tarball of older configuration in a special directory. Sorcery can ask if it has to do this things. Also, some spells like Apache handle that gracefully, maybe there needs to be a way of disabling smart config handling. The file I'm talking about may contain a list of files and glob expressions to feed to `tar' command during `prepare_install'.

Sergey.

Rob Verkuylen wrote:

For the ones that are not familliar with debian a short explanation:
DebianĀ“s apt-get has a simple but effective way of handling config files
being overwritten. It alerts the user when a file wil be overwritten and
gives some options:
1. Overwrite (the old file wil be renamed to configfile.backup)
2. Show diff oldfile newfile
3. Do not overwrite
4. Put on hold and deal with it later

This is all being done in a shell, very crude, but really effective.
(The way we like it ;) )

This seems to be a nice addition to casting, solving some of the
frustrations users(including me) have had to go through, when losing their
configs after an update.