sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] /devices to /dev

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: John T Copeland <johnc AT neto.com>
  • To: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] /devices to /dev
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 10:19:20 -0500

Andrew wrote:

So in overview:

1. make the changes to init.d spell as needed.
2. document on wiki for those that might need it (hell, just ref this mail eh?)
3. submit to devel and post to news/mailinglists as warning that it is about to happen.

There is still the minor detail of adding in the devfsd optional deal
and modifying fstab. Any ideas on how one fixes all that? I guess we'll
have to support a symlink from /devices to /dev indefinitly for backwards
compatibility.

Who wants to help test? Im going to try and keep a list of people who
are testing this before I go and roll anything big out.

Andrew,
I just implemented what you recommended.
1) mount.sh - change to mount -n -t devfs devfs /dev
/sbin/devfsd /dev
2) fstab - changed devices...etc /dev/hd(a,b,etc)
3) inittab - changed devices to dev for virtual consoles
4) XF86Config - changed from /dev/mouse to /dev/psaux
5) lilo.conf - changed devices to /dev/hd(a,b,etc) if needed
6) deleted the devices directory

Notice I did not ln -s /dev devices. I don't like two things doing the same thing when I can avoid it.

How you can automate this to happen automagically when updating to a new init.d spell from an old one, that's tough. I think a backout position would be good in case of failure(possible? don't know). Sorry, not much help, but wanted you to know your recommendation works if done manually and you have a means to get back to your system if it won't boot. Mine didn't(missed consoles in inittab), but I always keep knoppix and a recovery partition handy.

Of course this would work velly fine and good on the ISO.

JohnC