sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL 0.6-beta3 testing please!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Eric Sandall" <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL 0.6-beta3 testing please!
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 19:35:36 -0700 (PDT)

Eric Schabell said:
>> On Thursday June 12 2003 21:50, Eric Schabell wrote:
>> Howdy all!
>>
>> I have almost completed the upload of beta-3 to download.sourcemage.org.
>>
>> In about 20 min's you can start testing.... please do! Let me know here
>> about any problems, maybe we can release? ;-)
>>
> Ok, it is up and fine now.... give it a try?

The missing menus are back! Great job! :)

Comments:

LILO: Should we have LILO default to overwrite the MBR for the system
rather than just the disk? It's fairly useless (IMO) to have it write to
the disk as most people will want it to write to the MBR as normal boot
loaders do, this way it is effective. I know we have this "documented" on
the wiki, but I would like a sane (subjective) default.

Network: I setup the network from the installer, but it did not save the
information to /etc/sysconfig/network, I only have 'lo.dev' in there, but
it did install dhcpcd as I asked.

Kernel: There is no kernel configuration anymore? I guess this is actually
a good idea, that way the user will have a working kernel at boot so that
they can _then_ play with what to compile in, rather than from the ISO and
if they get it wrong don't have a bootable system. Also, 2.4.21 has just
been released with support for the AMD Opteron. ;)

Installed packages: I noticed that upon install, the ISO uses gcc 3.2.2,
glibc 2.3.1, and gettext 0.11.5 while the grimoire on the ISO (stable) has
3.2.3, 2.3.2, and 0.11.5, respectively (possibly others, only noticed
these because I tried with the beta2 ISO and couldn't update either glibc
nor gcc due to 'lib_intl' problems, which, IIRC, were a chicken-and-egg
problem with respect to glibc and gcc). It would be nice if the packages
on the ISO were up-to-date with those of the grimoire. Also, Sorcery
1.0.7 is now available, with 1.0.6 on the ISO. :)

Overall, great work guys!

-sandalle

--
PGP Key Fingerprint: FCFF 26A1 BE21 08F4 BB91 FAED 1D7B 7D74 A8EF DD61
http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA8EFDD61