sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL 0.6-beta3 testing please!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jason Flatt <jason AT flattfamily.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL 0.6-beta3 testing please!
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 08:57:05 -0700

On Friday 13 June 2003 10:44 pm, Robin Cook wrote:
> Ok I did a test install today as well....
>
> On Fri, 2003-06-13 at 21:35, Eric Sandall wrote:
> > LILO: Should we have LILO default to overwrite the MBR for the system
> > rather than just the disk? It's fairly useless (IMO) to have it write to
> > the disk as most people will want it to write to the MBR as normal boot
> > loaders do, this way it is effective. I know we have this "documented"
> > on the wiki, but I would like a sane (subjective) default.
>
> Just a long as it is noted somewhere to change it if needed. I have
> need of it both ways.

Same goes for me. As long as I have the option of reconfiguring lilo.conf
before rebooting, I'm OK.

> > Network: I setup the network from the installer, but it did not save the
> > information to /etc/sysconfig/network, I only have 'lo.dev' in there, but
> > it did install dhcpcd as I asked.
>
> Same here.

That has been that way for a long time. I'm surprised no one has noticed it
before now. I don't think it's an ISO thing, however, 'cause it also happens
when the relevant net spell gets re-cast or updated.

> > Kernel: There is no kernel configuration anymore? I guess this is
> > actually a good idea, that way the user will have a working kernel at
> > boot so that they can _then_ play with what to compile in, rather than
> > from the ISO and if they get it wrong don't have a bootable system.
> > Also, 2.4.21 has just been released with support for the AMD Opteron. ;)
>
> One problem here. I have an all scsi system and guess what the scsi
> drivers are not built into the kernel and there is not initrd that has
> them so I cannot just reboot the system and have it come up. I had to
> reboot the system with the install cd and change the root and then
> continue booting to be able to get it to where I could recompile the
> kernel with the scsi driver I needed in the kernel. So either an initrd
> matching the kernel needs to be supplied, or a way to recompile the
> kernel before rebooting needs to be available.
>
> CuZnDragon
> Robin Cook

$0.2:

I think we could solve both problems by doing two things: 1) give the user
the
/option/ of configuring and compiling the kernel, and 2) have the linux spell
(or whatever it is that would do this) make a backup of the old kernel image
before replacing it, and have it also modify lilo.conf accordingly.

I know this opens up a whole new can of worms, but it gives users the ability
to create a new kernel based on their needs, and it gives a file-safe backup
in case of mistakes or other failures.

--
Jason Flatt (jason @ flattfamily . com)
Father of five (http://www.flattfamily.com/)