sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL 0.6-beta3 testing please!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Doubletwist <doubletwist AT spack.nu>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL 0.6-beta3 testing please!
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 23:21:30 -0500

Eric Sandall wrote:
> Eric Schabell said:
>
>>>On Thursday June 12 2003 21:50, Eric Schabell wrote:
>>>Howdy all!
>>>
>>>I have almost completed the upload of beta-3 to download.sourcemage.org.
>>>
>>>In about 20 min's you can start testing.... please do! Let me know here
>>>about any problems, maybe we can release? ;-)
So far I've found the same things. It'd be nice if GCC was at 3.2.3 as
that's the longest part of installing for me.

Also, it doesn't seem like a good [user-friendly] thing to have LILO ask
for a password on the first boot!

Otherwise good work so far. Will continue and report what I find.

Jim

>>Ok, it is up and fine now.... give it a try?
>

> The missing menus are back! Great job! :)
>
> Comments:
>
> LILO: Should we have LILO default to overwrite the MBR for the system
> rather than just the disk? It's fairly useless (IMO) to have it write to
> the disk as most people will want it to write to the MBR as normal boot
> loaders do, this way it is effective. I know we have this "documented" on
> the wiki, but I would like a sane (subjective) default.
>
> Network: I setup the network from the installer, but it did not save the
> information to /etc/sysconfig/network, I only have 'lo.dev' in there, but
> it did install dhcpcd as I asked.
>
> Kernel: There is no kernel configuration anymore? I guess this is actually
> a good idea, that way the user will have a working kernel at boot so that
> they can _then_ play with what to compile in, rather than from the ISO and
> if they get it wrong don't have a bootable system. Also, 2.4.21 has just
> been released with support for the AMD Opteron. ;)
>
> Installed packages: I noticed that upon install, the ISO uses gcc 3.2.2,
> glibc 2.3.1, and gettext 0.11.5 while the grimoire on the ISO (stable) has
> 3.2.3, 2.3.2, and 0.11.5, respectively (possibly others, only noticed
> these because I tried with the beta2 ISO and couldn't update either glibc
> nor gcc due to 'lib_intl' problems, which, IIRC, were a chicken-and-egg
> problem with respect to glibc and gcc). It would be nice if the packages
> on the ISO were up-to-date with those of the grimoire. Also, Sorcery
> 1.0.7 is now available, with 1.0.6 on the ISO. :)
>
> Overall, great work guys!
>
> -sandalle

- --
Doubletwist <doubletwist (at) spack (dot) nu, SPAM/UCE is unauthorized
Key id 152CA433 = F305 A70B 5182 E8DD 2D32 EC74 BC73 D793 152C A433
Full Key at pgp.mit.edu. info: www.gnupg.org