sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL 0.6-beta3 testing please!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Eric Sandall" <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL 0.6-beta3 testing please!
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 22:55:17 -0700 (PDT)

Eric Sandall said:
<snip>
> The missing menus are back! Great job! :)
>
> Comments:
<snip>

Also, for the "Load modules" part before continuing (first screen):

When you choose a module to load, it would be nice if you could see the
output (hopefully it's loading with 'modprobe -v <module>') that way you
can see that it actually succeeded or not (of course, if the module fails,
you get a message). Perhaps just a note (not a checkbox or anything else
that requires input) saying "module <module> loaded successfully".

I just checked, there IS support for RAID devices (I'm using ataraid), but
the partition utilities only look in /devices/discs for disks to
partition. I believe (at least for ataraid.o) that the partitions are
loaded in /dev/ataraid/, but when I try loading any of those I get
"Invalid disk".

Also, when the kernel is loading, it does a 'Partition check:", where I
get the following error for each possible ATA drive:

/dev/ide/host2/bus0/target0/lun0: unknown partition table

This is correct as far as I know, as I have no disks installed on those,
only on my ATA RAID controller, but should it perhaps find that as well?
It _does_ load the PDC20276 IDE controller and identifies my drives as
hde, hdf, hdg, and hdh.

Has anyone setup RAID (preferably ATA RAID) on Linux before? Using SMGL?
I loaded the ataraid.o module, which then creates /dev/ataraid, and the
RAID HOWTOs say that I should now be able to access my mirror (which I
generated with the onboard tools), but I get a "FATAL ERROR: Cannot open
disk drive".

-sandalle

--
PGP Key Fingerprint: FCFF 26A1 BE21 08F4 BB91 FAED 1D7B 7D74 A8EF DD61
http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA8EFDD61