sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL 0.6-beta3 testing please!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Joel Sinor <jsinor AT comcast.net>
  • To: SM-Discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL 0.6-beta3 testing please!
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 01:54:13 -0500

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 08:57:05 -0700
Jason Flatt <jason AT flattfamily.com> wrote:

<snip>
> > > Network: I setup the network from the installer, but it did not
> > > save the information to /etc/sysconfig/network, I only have
> > > 'lo.dev' in there, but it did install dhcpcd as I asked.
> >
> > Same here.
> >

> That has been that way for a long time. I'm surprised no one has
> noticed it before now. I don't think it's an ISO thing, however,
> 'cause it also happens when the relevant net spell gets re-cast or
> updated.

It was noticed before.. I am not sure if there was a bug for it. I
never got round to figuring out why it happens. I blamed it on not
using modules for my networking at the time...

<snip>
> I think we could solve both problems by doing two things: 1) give the
> user the /option/ of configuring and compiling the kernel, and 2) have
> the linux spell (or whatever it is that would do this) make a backup
> of the old kernel image before replacing it, and have it also modify
> lilo.conf accordingly.
>
> I know this opens up a whole new can of worms, but it gives users the
> ability to create a new kernel based on their needs, and it gives a
> file-safe backup in case of mistakes or other failures.

I have thought it would be nice for the linux spell to do this. I have
usually compiled my kernels by hand in the past and my experience with
upgrading kernels with RPM was very bad precisely because the old kernel
was not available (can't recall details as it was long ago).
But with smgl I can use a spell and lately I have been lazy and living
dangerously by not backing up my kernels and configs. I have to wonder
where that will lead ;).