sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] gettext errors - recompile glibc?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jack Bertram <jack AT jbertram.net>
  • To: Source Mage - Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] gettext errors - recompile glibc?
  • Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 12:20:09 +0000

* Julian v. Bock <julian AT openit.de> [030207 12:15]:

> JB> Hi all I get gettext errors when trying to cast gqview. Now a
> JB> quick search of the list suggests that recompiling glibc is the
> JB> answer. However, when I've done this before I've had real
> JB> problems and have had to reboot, rescue, ldconfig, etc. Is
> JB> recasting glibc on a production system really safe? What
> JB> precautions should I take? I will have to do this remotely.
>
> *If* you are already running glibc-2.3.1 it is safe to do a cast -c
> glibc. If you are running an earlier version you might want to compile
> and install glibc manually.

Thanks for the advice. It appears that my previous glibc struggles have
left Source Mage thinking that glibc is not installed. Clearly it is
(!) but it doesn't show up under gaze version glibc. How can I find out
which version I have installed?

jack