sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] timing compiles

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jack Bertram <jack AT jbertram.net>
  • To: Source Mage - Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] timing compiles
  • Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 13:30:57 +0000

It's just occurred to me that it would be quite interesting to have an
idea (before casting a spell) of how long it's going to take to cast.
Now, it seems unrealistic to maintain this centrally since everyone
compiles on different machines. However, there's no reason why sorcery
couldn't time each compile on a local machine and store the elapsed time
in a database. Then I'd have a good idea of how long it took to upgrade
a spell:

Something like:

$ gaze time glibc

glibc compile time:
version time (s)
2.2.6 89241
2.3.1 91324

Then I could expect a new compile to take just over a day.

Thoughts?

jack