sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] exim update

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: nealbirch <nealbirch AT attbi.com>
  • To: eric AT sandall.us
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] exim update
  • Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 15:38:04 -0500

Eric Sandall wrote:
I also noticed this on my server, when I stopped getting mail and my g/f
complained that she couldn't send anything. So, looking into things
(using mutt as my test program), I found that exim could no longer write
to /var/spool/mail/log/*, even though everything there was mail.mail 660. So, I checked /etc/xinetd.d/exim, and 'lo and behold, exim is now running
as user/group 'exim' instead of user/group 'mail'. I tried changing the
user/group back to 'mail' and restarting exim, but exim wouldn't hear of
it, kept running as 'exim' anyways. So I put it back to user/group 'exim'
and changed the permissions on /var/spool/mail* to use 'exim' as group on
everything, then changed all 'mail' ownership to 'exim', and voila!

In short, I have my SMTP working again. :)

well, mine don't. annoying. I just did

chown -R exim:exim /var/spool/mail*

though. What did you do to change mail ownership?

neal

--
"You can fool some of the people all of the time
--and those are the ones you have to concentrate on!"