sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] exim update

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "M.L." <mlubrano AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: nealbirch <nealbirch AT attbi.com>, eric AT sandall.us
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] exim update
  • Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 22:20:23 +0100

On Dimanche 15 Décembre 2002 21:38, nealbirch wrote:
> Eric Sandall wrote:
> > I also noticed this on my server, when I stopped getting mail and my g/f
> > complained that she couldn't send anything. So, looking into things
> > (using mutt as my test program), I found that exim could no longer write
> > to /var/spool/mail/log/*, even though everything there was mail.mail 660.
> > So, I checked /etc/xinetd.d/exim, and 'lo and behold, exim is now running
> > as user/group 'exim' instead of user/group 'mail'. I tried changing the
> > user/group back to 'mail' and restarting exim, but exim wouldn't hear of
> > it, kept running as 'exim' anyways. So I put it back to user/group
> > 'exim' and changed the permissions on /var/spool/mail* to use 'exim' as
> > group on everything, then changed all 'mail' ownership to 'exim', and
> > voila!
> >
> > In short, I have my SMTP working again. :)
>
> well, mine don't. annoying. I just did
>
> chown -R exim:exim /var/spool/mail*
>
> though. What did you do to change mail ownership?

I thinks It's related to (in HISTORY):
2002-10-25 M.L. <mlubrano AT sourcemage.org>

Converted spell to use sorcery uid/gid features.

There is an exim user (created in BUILD file), and a mail user.
I never got input or complaints about uid/gid on exim before.... maybe I
should make changes to the spell. But I don't know much about exim.

What do you want to change ?

Bye,
Mat.

--