sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] qt-x11 casts finally

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
  • To: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergeyli AT pisem.net>
  • Cc: nealbirch <nealbirch AT attbi.com>, <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] qt-x11 casts finally
  • Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 15:50:12 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Sergey A. Lipnevich wrote:

> It's just too uncertain in terms of transactional safety. What I mean
> is, how to make sure that the spell ot file gets "unhidden" at the end
> of the cycle? We can make relevant files `chmod 000' temporarily, but
> how to guarantee that they are marked as accesible back again?

How about this approach:

1) archive the files with tar/bzip2
2) drop the archive in an "unhide" directory somewhere in /var
3) set a link in /etc/rcS.d to run an unhide script that extracts all
archives in the "unhide" directory
4) get bash to catch SIGINT
5) remove the files
6) cast the spell
7) run the unhide script
8) remove the archive from /var, if its the last one, also remove the
/etc/rcS.d link

If a SIGINT occurs, skip to step 7.

There may be some locking issues here, but this would probably prevent
things from not getting "unhidden". I do see another problem though,
performing more than one cast at a time may cause problems if the hidden
spell is needed by another instance of cast.

Ok, maybe this would get too messy!

-casey