sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] problems with mtab

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: nealbirch <nealbirch AT attbi.com>
  • To: Nick Jennings <nkj AT namodn.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org, Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>, tgarland AT email.com, robin AT kallisti.2y.net, evraire AT tuwg.com
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] problems with mtab
  • Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 18:19:22 -0500

Nick Jennings wrote:
On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 05:30:30PM -0500, nealbirch wrote:

Nick Jennings wrote:

Seems like this isn't in the scope of the init.d spell. Or am I mistaken?

Is the init.d spell supposed to control all base system files in /etc/ ?

No, just those without a home, so to speak.

The init.d spell is becoming a catch-all for things, at the moment, by default. There are some loose cannon's in this, it appears. I have gotten reports from many people on this who have the symlinks, and it may be from a particular iso, at the moment, my thought is how to correct it.

Hmm. I think it may be a better move to keep init.d's purpose very
specific to init organization, and make another spell which keeps
track of the very basic files needed in a sourcemage system.

Well, it started because I complained about some of the scripts and I got drafted to fix that and to add the functions script to make things
"pretty" as I remember, then we used it to make networking more stable. Then someone noticed that mount (and mountnfs) needed a home. Then localtime. Then I put the networking back where it belongs, but we still need a tool for setting up runlevels, so I wrote the lib_runlevel thing. Casey Harkens laboured over a net-tools script for setting up runlevels, too.

We need a admin user script tool, maybe.

A quick and dirty way would be to check for the existance of a link rather than file in the mount.sh file, if /etc/mtab is a symlink, then remove it before the script resets the mtab so that it can be set up properly by mount. Something like the following would do it:

Why not just inform people of this and let them decide if they want to
change it. I think trying to control peoples filesystem layout is
A Bad Thing (tm). We can say something like:

It appears your mtab is a symlink. It really *should* be a normal file
for mount to behave correctly. Please perform the following commands if
you do not want to receive this message again:

# ...<commands>...

That's a good idea, I will use it. I have posted an email with instructions that should do the fix, for those that read it. I think I would modify your idea a bit to let the spell fix it for the user, if they so desire. ("do you want to have The Bob's fix the glitch for you?" (y/n) if y then "The glitch will be repaired at your next reboot." )

I don't know how many folks were affected by this or if the current iso does the same thing. Anyone know for sure on that score?

The more we take over peoples setup, the more we take on the bad parts
of debian. :)

<shock>

neal
--
"You can fool some of the people all of the time
--and those are the ones you have to concentrate on!"