sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] problems with mtab

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: nealbirch <nealbirch AT attbi.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] problems with mtab
  • Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2002 14:35:47 -0500

nealbirch wrote:
Arwed von Merkatz wrote:
The problem is caused by /etc/mtab being a symlink to /proc/mounts,
making it a regular file solves this.

Okay, further discussion on irc reveals that Arwed's mtab was a symlink which was created ghod knows when.

It would be a good idea if anyone else has the same problem, that is:

/etc/mtab is setup as a symlink to /proc/mounts, when it should be a regular file created by mount,

If anyone else finds that they have a symlink instead of a regular file, and can shed some light on how it came to be that way, I can determine if we need to take some action with the init.d spell that sets up mount.sh. It may be a fluke on one machine or it may be affecting more folks.

Neal
--
"You can fool some of the people all of the time
--and those are the ones you have to concentrate on!"