sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] problems with mtab

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Dufflebunk <dufflebunk AT dufflebunk.homeip.net>
  • To: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] problems with mtab
  • Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 16:15:03 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, Casey Harkins wrote:
<snip talk about init.d>
> I agree. What happened to using a basesystem spell for all of the basic
> structure? Ideally, every file on a fresh install should be tracked by
> sorcery. I see a basesystem spell in the grimoire, but the SOURCE* vars
> are all commented out.
The basesystem spell is currently just used for it's DEPENDS. Not sources
are used, no BUILD... just a simple metaspell. That's not to say that it
can't be more though.

> In fact, it might be better to break this down even further. There should
> be one spell to setup the "/dev" directory, one spell for init.d (which we
> already have), one spell for "/etc", and one spell (basesystem?) to hold
> the basic directory structure.
I would suggest leaving basesystem as a metaspell and going w/ the devices
spell for /dev, and perhaps a ...unn... what's that Linux Standard Base or
something? Well, whatever it's called, a spell for that would take care of
the basic dir structure.

> That way if I hose my /dev directory, I can cast 'basesystem-dev" or
> something to get it back.
>
> The basesystem spell as described above wouldn't be very useful, since you
> would need the basic directory structure in place to cast it, but at least
> the directories would be tracked by sorcery. Also, it would be a
> dependency for the "/dev" and "/etc" spells.
<sniped some more discussion>
> -casey

PGP public key at
http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x3327A9A5