sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Gnome2 + OSS-only sound driver?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: alvaro <aepaz AT entelchile.net>
  • To: Jonathan Evraire <evraire AT tuwg.com>
  • Cc: Jon Svendsen <jon-sven AT frisurf.no>, <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Gnome2 + OSS-only sound driver?
  • Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 21:22:33 +0000

> What's funny is even with Alsa, I only got startup sounds as root. I'd
> be interested in hearing if you get them without alsa but as root? (And
> yes, I did change the permissions in /dev.)

checked: i get no startup sound as user, and as root i get it only for kde.

> > Rebuilding the system without alsa was painfull... and long, and
> > involved. A plain rebuild didnt work, i remember doing a bunch of cast
> > --nofix, then at the failure points i started to manually check
> > dependencies and compiling those, a few times i had to manually recompile
> > things a 3 or 4 levels deep. But i was removing alsa from my system, wich
> > made it worse.
> > I'm not sure if i took notes, but i'll check. I remember it was so
> > painful, that now that i *need* alsa to get midi support for my SBLive
> > i'm just too afraid to install it!.
>
> Thanks for the tip! I'm not sure if I want to go through all that
> because it certainly sounds painful to me! This thread has been pretty
> slow so I decided it was a good time to give KDE3 a try (casting
> kde-profile as we speak).

it 'shouldnt be that bad', but could. KDE is working great, but i remember
that the alsa problems were showing while casting gnome spells ... but
solving those problems had me recompiling a lot of non-gnome stuff.

> As for needing ALSA again, it seems to me the non-alsa drivers creative
> supplies are the most feature complete. Are those the ones you're using?
> Don't they support midi? What about surround sound? The main reason I
> switched to the creative drivers was for surround sound support. (I even
> drafted a spell for it if you're interested, but it still requires lots of
> work.) I'm just wondering if I'd be rather off just using the alsa
> drivers instead.

When i tried the alsa drivers i was not satisfied... but it was probably
because i didnt take the time to make it work, everybody says it works great.
I'm using the oss driver emu10k1 built into the kernel, quality is very good
but i'm not sure i'm getting a real surround. And i definitely have no
midi...

> Question to the sorcery team: why would we need to do this? Why doesn't
> "cast --fix" or "sorcery rebuild" catch these things we need to manually
> recompile?

i remember i asked it to Dufflebunk, and he explained to me why it happened,
but i dont remember right now.

My computer is needing a rebuild, but i'm waiting a little. I'm thinking
about
trying alsa again.

alvaro